tisdag 18 oktober 2011

On the road


The engine is running, and I still got a few weeks before the first snow will fall i Sweden. This is the scenery that made me build my motorcycle - a small paved countryside road, autum leaves and a little bit of mist in the air. Nothing else to do than breaking in a new engine...


If I add up all the tips on the internet about breaking in engines the result is useless. Some say; be extremly carefull the first 100km. Some say; beat the engine hard. Some say; never idle. I say; this is not a racer. I want the engine to respond to my wishes. I want the bike to be easy to drive. So I´m mixing the Yamaha instructions of taking it easy with the forged piston demands of beating. The formula of it all is avoiding lowest and highest revs. Use the throttle midrange. Use engine brakes a lot to distribute the oil evenly. Change oil and filter after 500km. - I will keep You informed if the engine blow up...


There is though a question mark. I got 150psi of compression but the horsepower is not there. And the bike does not sound as much as before. But it runs very steady and precise - nothing sounds wrong. I am posting on several forums to find out if this is ok. There is a small leakage of oil from the kick indicator, so I will take the engine apart again during the winter. I just want to tune in the piston in the autum breeze.