fredag 7 oktober 2011

Speed cable

My engine trimmer is driving motorcycles as well - good to know. But he drove a little bit to much with his ribs a few days ago. He broke one and cant trim my motor until next week. In the meantime I´ve been working with the speedometer cable problem. I wanted to put my only gauge in the centerline of the bike, but there is no room because of the head light. I could have made more room by moving the light a bit forward, but that gives the impression of the light driving on its own - a bit ahead of the rest of the bike. As a designer I know that good design is measured in millimeters and a good day´s work. The 5 1/2 inch head light is not big - but it is in the way at exactly the wrong spot. Two holes were the only way to solve the problem. I used two rubber bushings, left over from the top triple tree, to guide the speedometer cable through the holes. Absolutely no room left over in the headlight housing. Had to remove all the standard connectors - use simple cable lugs - bend the H4 bulb pins in different directions - in order to get all the parts together.


The textile on the gauge is a linnen cloth from the local paper mill...